Young Artist Competition
March 19 @ 11:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Young Artists Competition Guidelines
This event and subsequent exhibit desires to directly promote the artwork of UK students who identify as artists, regardless of their major or future professional interests. The UK Student Activities Board (SAB) Cultural Arts committee understands that it is hard for artists to promote themselves and further their studies at the same time. The purpose of this project is to help those artists by giving them a professional and beneficial opportunity to display their works. The committee seeks to attract a myriad of artists who present a diverse array of art.
All applicants must be full-time UK students. Both undergraduate and graduate students of any year are encouraged to apply. Previous winners of the Young Artists Competition are prohibited from applying.
At the end of the Young Artists Competition, three scholarship recipients will be announced. One artist will receive the Judges’ Favorite award. This award will be given to the artist who most impressed local artists and gallery owners. Two other artists will receive the Observer’s Choice award. These awards will be given to the artists who receive the most public votes at the gallery’s opening reception. Each scholarship consists of a $500 art supply shopping spree. Only one prize will be awarded per recipient.
How to Apply
15 applicants will have the opportunity to have their work displayed in the gallery providing they submit a minimum of three pieces of work at exhibit quality with their application.* These pieces will be used to determine the recipient of the Judges’ Choice award prior to the gallery reception. The works can be any visual arts medium (i.e. drawings, paintings, photographs, sculptures, installations, etc). The only limitations the gallery will have is regarding film submissions, since there will not be a method to display such works on a long-term basis.
Once applicants have submitted their application and have been invited to display their work at the Young Artists exhibit, they will be free to choose which works they wish to have displayed for the duration of the exhibit contingent on approval from the Student Activities Board.
Once begun, the application form will not save until submitted. However, feel free to look at the application before applying. The application requires that artists submit several required materials:
- An artist statement (200 words or less)
- A short essay describing how the scholarship will further the artist’s study (350 words or less)
- A zip file of selected works, through email (using a maximum of 15 jpeg images)
Eligible applicants may access the application link here. The deadline to apply for the competition is March 19th at 11:59pm.
* SAB Cultural Arts committee reserves the right to determine which artists will pass the preliminary round of applications and the final determinations of whose works will be displayed in exhibit.
Please direct any questions concerning the competition and application process to Courtney Marburger, Director of Cultural Arts, at email@example.com.
Young Artists Competition Application Preview
- First Name
- Middle Initial
- Last Name
- Phone Number
- Student ID# (without the 9)
- Current Address
- College (i.e. Arts & Sciences)
- Major 1
- Major 2
- Major 3
- Minor 1
- Minor 2
- Artist Statement
- Describe your work and the messages you desire it to convey. Tell us what your art means to you. (200 words or less)
- Short Essay
- If selected, how will you use the Young Artists Scholarship to further your study of the arts? (350 words or less)
- Your application with not be complete until your portfolio is emailed to this address in the format described below: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please email the zip file of the works you believe best represent your style to email@example.com. Make sure every jpeg is appropriately labeled with your last name and numbered (i.e. Smith 1, Smith 2, etc.) A maximum of 15 jpeg files is permitted.